- 750ml double cream
- 250ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod, deseeded
- 7 egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar + extra for topping
- 1 punnet of strawberries, cut into quarters
- 1 large handful of peppercress, blitzed in a food processor
- Preheat oven to 120 C. Put 6 – 8 ramekins into a deep roasting tin.
- Add the milk, cream and vanilla seeds and pod into a saucepan and bring up to scalding point (just bubbling). Take off the heat and remove the vanilla pod.
- Whisk the egg yolks & sugar for 1 min, until pale & fluffy. Pour over the milk mixture and whisk before immediately passing through a sieve into a clean jug.
- Pour boiling water into the roasting tin just over half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Mix the quartered strawberries with the peppercress and place a few in each ramekin. Pour the custard over, leaving a 1⁄2 cm gap at the top of each ramekin
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until softly set and just wobbling.
- Allow to cool on a wire wrack for a couple of minutes before transferring to the fridge to completely cool (can leave over night).
- Before serving, sprinkle a small layer of caster sugar over each brulee and smooth with a spoon before caramelizing with a blow torch (move in circles across each brulee adjusting the distance of the torch if it colours too much/too little).
Recipe by Laura Marshall
Recipe by Lunch BXD