- 4 Egg Whites
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 500ml Double Cream (whipped)
- 400g of Mixed Fresh Berries (strawberries raspberries, blueberries or cranberries)
- 1 Small Bunch of Picked Mint Leaves (half whole, half finely sliced)
- 2 Handfuls of Roughly Chopped Ruby Chard (plus extra whole pieces for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 110 C and line a baking tray with non-stick paper. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peak. Whisk in half the caster sugar till stiff again and then gradually add the rest, whisking until just stiff and shiny.
- Drop onto the baking parchment and pat down gently with a large metal spoon so you have a large, high circle. Smooth down the centre slightly so it dips for the cream to sit in later.
- Bake for 1 hour until crisp on the outside but soft in the middle. If you want it completely stiff continue cooking for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip the double cream adding a sprinkle of sieved icing sugar to sweeten just slightly. Mix through the chopped ruby chard and mint.
- Once the meringue is ready, place on a cake stand with the cream on top. Generously sprinkle over the fruit and garnish with the remaining whole leaves of chard and mint.
Recipe by Carlene McConnachie
Recipe by Lunch BXD